Elevation Certificate

Elevation Certificate (EC)  (FEMA form 2022) is an administrative tool of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The certificate is used to verify building elevations if the building is located in Flood Hazard area identified on the Flood Insurance Rate Map as a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), to determine the proper flood insurance premium rate, or to support a request of a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letter of Map Revision based on fill (LOMR-F).

As part of the agreement to make flood insurance available in a community, the NFIP requires the communities to adopt a floodplain management ordinance specifying minimum requirements for reducing flood losses. One such condition is for the community to obtain the elevation of the lowest floor (including the basement) of all new and substantially improved buildings and to maintain a record of such information. The Elevation Certificate allows a community to comply with this requirement.

Over time, as flood risk changes and flood maps are updated, the building code requirements may also change. Therefore, if you are remodeling or rebuilding, and the building is in flood hazard area identified on the Flood Insurance Rate Map as a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), you will most likely need a new Elevation Certificate to reflect the latest building characteristics and the lowest floor elevation.

Also, if you are trying to have your property flood zone designation changed, an Elevation Certificate can be submitted to FEMA to support a request for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or a Letter of Map Amendment based on fill (LOMR-F).

An Elevation Certificate can also be submitted with your application to determine if it will lower the cost of your insurance policy. If you carry flood insurance, you can dispute if your property is currently in the flood zone. Once the flood zone is changed, the lender may remove the requirement for flood insurance. A copy of the flood zone change must be given to the lender for a lender to remove the flood insurance requirement.

A licensed Surveyor provides an Elevation Certificate. The cost of an Elevation Certificate will vary significantly depending on the location and complexity of the property.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) 

Free Surveying Estimate

pdf icon FEMA Elevation Certificate and Instructions